Laughter peals through the air like bells, rising above the harsh spritz of the foam mixer. An argument takes place behind me, sharp words punctuated by sharp inhales of air. Somehow it is a comfort, the noise of interaction cementing my place in the reality of the moment. The scent of coffee, dark and smooth in the cool air, permeates the room as I close my eyes to my surroundings. A picture dances behind my eyes without the boon of sight. A click. A closing of a door. The air tastes like coffee too, though it does not share the bitterness of the real, genuine thing. An unpleasant taste, but one that fits in with the all encompassing coziness of my chosen place of respite. Another laugh rings out, from the screech of chair legs across concrete, followed by the quiet rustling of a coat being shed in the warmth of the indoors, away from the bite of the wind beyond the big glass windows. The tapping of light fingertips dancing across a keyboard is barely audible over the hazy ambiance of the coffee shop. I could lose myself in the soft music sinking into the background, the sweet taste of my hot chocolate, the chill of the opening door that comes like clockwork. My companion types on, and her keyboard is like a new sort of sweet song, one that sets a sense of camaraderie that I can feel deep down to my very bones. This is not a place of loneliness, at least not for me. The air is full of reminders of others, the sounds of human interaction and the tantalizing taste of a cozy winter day.

(Kru Coffee)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Aventine Hill

Piazza Cavour

Keats Shelley Memorial House